Educating Property Managers On Custodial Operations
In every facility there is a project manager responsible for making sure the cleaning service abides by the contract specifications. This person often conducts random inspections and responds to complaints from tenants. But they are always looking for suggestions on how to get the most from the cleaning service?
These individuals have a very important function in the successful operation of the offices and buildings under their management. Following are some suggestions that are a continuation of prior comments:
1. What are your credentials for being a property manager? Do you understand the nuances of custodial operations? Do you know how to communicate with and motivate people not directly under your command?
2. Do you understand the importance of “green cleaning” and its impact on tenant health, absenteeism, building appearance and the bottom line?
3. Do you understand the difference between “high gloss” and “matte finish” which not only has differences in procedures but also your total costs for keeping hard floors looking great?
4. Do you track the published staffing schedule so you know when to speak to the onsite supervisor about performance issues?
5. Have you developed or shared a Quality Control inspection check list (preferably 1-100 scoring) with the contractor so that you are all on the same page?
6. Do you have a Complaint Tracking Log so that you are current on complaints that arrive via phone, email or in person?
7. Do you validate all complaints so that when you pass them on to the contractor to correct they will not challenge your directions?
8. Do you follow up any verbal directions with an email to confirm your directions especially if there are deadlines?
9. Do you meet periodically with the onsite supervisor, the project manager and on occasion the president or other upper management of the cleaning service to make sure that they understand your concerns?
We will continue these thoughts in a future article.
Your comments and questions are important. I hope to hear from you soon. Until then, keep it clean...
Mickey Crowe has been involved in the industry for over 35 years. He is a trainer, speaker and consultant. You can reach Mickey at 678-314-2171 or CTCG50@comcast.net
TIPS SELECTED FOR YOU
Cleaning Supervision Basics
Better First Impressions Of A Facility
Streamline Cleaning In The Restroom
Top Reasons For Wasted Time And Productivity
Dangers Of Cross Contamination
Concerns With Indoor Air Quality
Advice To Controlling Proper Disposal Of Diapers
Steps in Applying Floor Finish
Urethane Seals Versus Water Based Floor Finishes
Eight Ways To Improve Floor Finishing