Steps To Maintaining Equipment
In a prior article we looked at the process of developing “steps” for starting and maintaining an auto-scrub unit. The same steps could be developed for any type of equipment that requires regular servicing.
Operations – 12 Steps (pale blue)
1. Select appropriate water setting and pad pressure.
2. Start pad/brushes and vacuum
3. Lower squeegee
4. Begin scrubbing
5. Monitor recovery tank for foam and filling to rim
6. Shut off solution
7. Shut off pads/brushes
8. Shut off vacuum
9. Lift squeegee
10. Empty when full into appropriate sanitary system – NEVER dump on ground or in storm drains
11. Continue scrubbing – repeat steps 1-5
12. Refer to Step 4 of Start Up when solution tank is empty
Shutting Down Unit - 7 Steps (red)
1. Turn the machine off
2. Lift up/lock and inspect squeegee
3. Remove pads or brushes – clean if needed
4. Empty, rinse the recovery tank & vacuum shut off
5. Be sure to leave caps/tops open so tanks can air dry
6. Wipe down outside of unit including wheels
7. Charge battery using correct charger
The suggested laminated cards could be colored (green for go, blue for maintain, red for stop) so that as the worker was trained in proper operation and maintenance, the cards could be used to reinforce key points.
Your comments and questions are always welcome. I hope to hear from you soon. Until then, keep it clean…
Mickey Crowe has been involved in the industry for over 35 years. He is a trainer, speaker and consultant. You can reach Mickey at 678.314.2171 or CTCG50@comcast.net.