Questions To Ask When Evaluating Performance
When I am asked to consult with a customer or BSC on performance issues, I always start with the following questions:
1. Who is your primary vendor and what supplies do you use? Please understand I am not discriminating against any vendor but have learned that some distributors simply sell stuff for the highest price they can get and will not or cannot provide any support after the sale. One of my first steps is to bring the vendor into the picture as a partner in finding solutions to any performance issues.
2. What equipment line do you use? This should be the same vendor but oftentimes a BSC (Building Service Contractor) will spread their risks among more than one distributor to force competitive pricing. The risk they run is that when they need support the vendor is not sufficiently motivated to provide support in the form of loaners and prompt repairs.
3. Tell me about your training program? I am looking for the BSC to have a qualified person (even if he/she wears other hats) designated as the SME (subject matter expert) and provides a consistent level of training for all workers including front line supervisors. Standardization of training is crucial to dealing with performance issues.
4. Tell me about your Quality Control Program? If they do not have a 0-100 metric to track their own inspections as well as a Complaint Tracker they are in the middle of the ocean on a cloudy night without a compass. How do they know where they are headed or even where they have been?
5. Show me your Daily Exceptions Report/Communication Log? If they do not track day to day events such as locked doors, broken toilets, light bulbs and security issues, they will tend to stay in reaction mode.
Ask yourself the preceding questions and take corrective steps when necessary.
Your comments and questions are important. I hope to hear from you soon. Until then, keep it clean...
Mickey Crowe has been involved in the industry for over 35 years. He is a trainer, speaker and consultant. You can reach Mickey at 678-314-2171 or CTCG50@comcast.net.