Importance Of Maintaining A Positive Attitude
In this article, I continue to address a new team member just starting in the custodial industry. Your personal attitudes and actions are very important in your own success in all your endeavors, including being a custodian. Following is a continuation of tips:
1. You should be honest and dependable. We already covered honesty in the last article. When we think of dependability it covers not only showing up on time but also following through on any assignments we are given. Of course, this means we clearly understand the expected outcomes which usually comes from training and reviews. Do not hesitate to ask your supervisor for guidance if necessary. Make sure he/she knows they can count on you to get the job done.
2. You should take the lead and work smart. We are always looking for leaders who can be promoted to responsible positions. Be careful not assume responsibilities that belong to someone else. As to working smart rather than hard, invest in your own knowledge as to how to perform every procedure safely and accurately.
3. You should communicate well and get along with others...especially customers. We always want to be perceived as helpful and friendly without being intrusive or meddlesome. A satisfied customer is one key aspect of job security. If a customer asks or directs you to perform a task that is out of your responsibility, politely inform them that you will be glad to have your supervisor for directions. Of course, this does not include onetime emergency situations.
4. You should dress properly and practice good hygiene. Tank tops, open toed sandals and offensive logos are not appropriate for professional cleaners. Follow company policies and make sure your breath, nails and hair are acceptable for your work.
5. You should be cooperative and have a positive attitude. Cooperate with your team and always look for win/win outcomes. We all have personal problems but sharing them with tenants is not appropriate.
Remember that the preceding tips are primarily related to your own attitude. Only you can control your attitude so take ownership and be the best custodian you can be.
Your comments and questions are important. I hope to hear from you soon. Until then, keep it clean…
Mickey Crowe has been involved in the industry for over 35 years. He is a trainer, speaker and consultant. You can reach Mickey at 678-314-2171 or CTCG50@comcast.net.