5 Ways to Celebrate National Custodial Workers Recognition Day
Coming up next Monday, Oct. 2 is the opportunity for frontline cleaning teams to celebrate celebrate National Custodial Workers Recognition Day. As noted by Cintas, this observance is to show appreciation for the dedication custodial workers have to keep facilities clean and safe for building occupants.
“Custodial workers are some of the most dedicated workers and are rarely celebrated for the demanding work they perform daily,” says John Rudy, senior director of marketing, Cintas. “They are a vital part of keeping facilities functional, healthy and safe for facility occupants and deserve to be honored for all they do.”
There are many ways to show gratitude to your custodial team on Oct. 2. Some ideas, courtesy of Cintas, include:
• Write a thank you card to express admiration for their hard work.
• Provide a free lunch by catering your custodial staff's favorite meal or offering to take them out to a restaurant.
• Give your custodial staff the day off to relax. Their absence may give your facility the opportunity to see how much support they provide on a daily basis.
• Monetary gifts such as gift cards or bonuses.
• Consider outsourcing some of your facility’s cleaning tasks, such as deep cleaning restrooms, to take some of the tedious tasks off your custodians’ plates.
“We often don’t see the behind-the-scenes work that custodians provide,” adds Rudy. “No matter how your facility decides to celebrate, the most important part is that your custodians know how valuable they are to your team.”
For related coverage, check out these five tips for boosting employee retention here.