ASHRAE Recognizes Outstanding Achievements Of Dedicated Members
ASHRAE recognized the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to the Society and the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration industry at the 2018 ASHRAE Annual Conference, June 23-27, in Houston. A list of awards and recipients are below:
Lincoln Bouillon Award
Oscar Eduardo Ricaño Conseĵo, Ing., of the Monterrey Chapter, received the Lincoln Bouillon Award, which recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing membership. The award commemorates Presidential Member Bouillon’s efforts in recruiting new members. Ricaño is a sales manager for Air-Care de Mexico, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico.
Chapter Program Star Award
Abhishek Khurana of the Toronto Chapter, received the Chapter Program Star Award, which recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. Khurana resides in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.
William J. Collins, Jr. RP Award
Adam Graham of the Ottawa Valley Chapter, received the William J. Collins Jr. RP Award. The award, named in honor of Presidential Member Collins, recognizes a chapter RP chair who excels in raising funds for ASHRAE’s RP campaign. Graham is in engineering sales for HTS Engineering Ltd., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Environmental Health Award
Pawel Wargocki, Ph.D., received the Environmental Health Award for excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. Wargocki is associate professor for the International Centre for Indoor Environment and Energy, Department of Civil Engineering, Technical University of Denmark, Kongens Lyngby.
Homer Addams Award
Alireza Behfar, P.E., BEAP, received the Homer Addams Award, which recognizes a graduate student who has been engaged in an ASHRAE research project at a university that has graduate programs in the areas of heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and has achieved a high standard of performance in this work. Behfar is a graduate research assistant at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Omaha, Neb.
Grassroots Government Advocacy Award
Jui-Chen Roger Chang, P.E., of the National Capital Chapter, received the Grassroots Government Advocacy Award. The award recognizes individuals for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial, and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the Society. Chang is principal at DLR Group, Washington D.C.
Lou Flagg Historical Award
Bruce L. Flaniken, P.E., of the Houston Chapter, received the Lou Flagg Historical Award, which recognizes an individual for preparing the most outstanding historical presentation related to HVAC&R. The award is named in recognition of Presidential Member Lou Flagg, who promoted an interest in history. Flaniken is manager of facility systems design and construction engineering, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas.
Standards Achievement Award
Gerald J. Kettler, P.E., received the Standards Achievement Award, which recognizes exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. He is president at AIR Engineering and Testing, Dallas, Texas.
Ralph G. Nevins Physiology & Human Environment Award
Dusan Licina, Ph.D., received the Ralph G. Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award, which is given to an investigator for significant accomplishments in the study of man’s response to the environment and its effect on human comfort, health, and well-being. Licina is assistant professor for Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland.
Student Activities Achievement Award
Yumei Mata Hi received the Student Activities Achievement Award, which recognizes a chapter student activities chair for growth of student activities. Hi is professor of Mechanical Engineering at Universidad Autonomo de Nuevo León, San Nicolas de los Garza, Nuevo León, Mexico.
ASHRAE Journal Paper Award
Omar John Hawit and Trevor Jaffe, P.E. received the Journal Paper Award for the article, “Water-Energy Nexus: Heat Rejection Systems,” judged to be the best article published in ASHRAE Journal. The article was published in September 2017. Hawit is principal for DLR Group, Washington D.C.; Jaffe is senior mechanical engineer for Building Mechanical Systems, WSP USA, Arlington, Va.
Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award
Daniel Bacellar, Ph.D., Vikrant C. Aute, Ph.D., Zhiwei Huang, Ph.D., and Reinhard Radermacher, Ph.D. were recipients of the Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award for “Design Optimization and Validation of High Performance Heat Exchangers using Approximation Assisted Optimization and Additive Manufacturing.” The article was published in July 2017. The award is for the best referred paper published in the volume year of the Science and Technology for the Built Environment, the ASHRAE research journal.
Bacellar is engineering manager, Optimized Thermal Systems, Inc., Beltsville, Md. Aute is an associate research scientist at the University of Maryland, College Park, Md. Huang is senior engineer for Johnson Controls, Norman, Okla. Radermacher is University of Maryland Minta Martin Professor of Engineering, and director of Center of Environmental Energy Engineering, College Park, Md.
Crosby Field Award
Michael Roth, Ph.D., P.Eng. received the Crosby Field Award for his paper “Updating the ASHRAE Climate Design Data for 2017,” which was judged to be the best paper presented before the Society. The Crosby Field Award is named for a former Presidential Member. Roth is director and co-founder of Klimaat Consulting & Innovation, Inc., Guelph, Ontario, Canada.
ASHRAE Technical Paper Award
The following papers received a Technical Paper Award, which recognizes the authors of the best papers presented at Society conferences:
• Omar Abdelaziz, Ph.D. and Som S. Shrestha, Ph.D. received an award for “Evaluation of Alternative Refrigerants for Mini-Split Air Conditioners.” Abdelaziz is managing director, Clean Energy Air and Water Technologies, FZE, Dubai, UAE. Shrestha is research and development staff at the Building Technologies Research and Integration Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Mohammad Rafati Nasr, Ph.D. and Carey J. Simonson, Ph.D., P.Eng., received an award for “Experimental Measurement of Frosting Limits in Cross-Flow Air-to-Air Energy Exchangers.” Nasr is test engineer for CORE Energy Recovery Solutions, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Simonson is professor at the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Alejandro Rivas Prieto; Li Song, Ph.D., P.E.; Wesley M. Thomas and Gang Wang, Ph.D., received an award for their paper, “In-Situ Fan Curve Calibration for Virtual Airflow Sensor Implementation in VAV Systems.” Rivas Prieto is mechanical designer for Ross & Baruzzini, Miami, Fla. Song is associate professor at the University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla. Thomas resides in Harrah, Oklahoma. Wang is assistant professor at the University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla.
• Bryan P. Rasmussen, Ph.D., P.E.; Chao Wang, Ph.D.; and Kyaw Wynn, received an award for their paper, “Experimental Comparison of Energy-Optimal Coordinated Control Strategies for Heat Pump Systems.” Rasmussen is associate professor, Mechanical Engineering at the Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas. Wang is senior engineer for Johnson Controls, Norman, Okla. Wynn is senior lead systems engineer, Systems Research for Emerson Commercial and Residential Solutions, Sidney, Ohio.
Poster Presentation Award
Robert J. Hitchcock, Ph.D., John R. Butterfield, P.E., Elizabeth Ford Wilkins, P.E. and Francisco Forns-Samso, received the Poster Presentation Award. The award is presented for “BIM-Enabled Operations and Maintenance Work Processes.” Hitchcock is principal at Hitchcock Consulting, Sacramento, Calif. Butterfield is chairman of the board for Hallam-ICS, South Burlington, Vt. Ford Wilkins is senior commissioning engineer for Hallam-ICS, South Burlington, Vt. Forns-Samso is senior consultant, Innovation and Development for Granlund Oy, Helsinki, Finland.
Willis H. Carrier Award
Mohammad Rafati Nasr, Ph.D. received the Willis H. Carrier Award, which is given to a member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society conference. The award is presented for “Experimental Measurement of Frosting Limits in Cross-Flow Air-to-Air Energy Exchangers” Nasr is test engineer for CORE Energy Recovery Solutions, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade who have served the Society faithfully and with distinction and who have given freely of their time and talent in chapter, regional and Society activities. The following 21 members were recognized:
• Bruce Lee Billedeaux, P.E., senior consultant, Maverick Technologies, Columbia, Ill.
• Michael Blanford, research engineer, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, Office of Policy Development and Research, Washington D.C.
• Roland Charneux, Ing., Fellow ASHRAE, HFDP, energy department director, Pageau Morel, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
• Jeff Clarke, P.E., CEO, Enviroair Industries, Montreal, Quebec, Canada and CEO, Smith Energy, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada.
• Gary L. Cooper, vice president/principal, Alvine Engineering, Omaha, Neb.
• William Fox, Ph.D., thermal systems engineer, Ingersoll Rand, La Crosse, Wis.
• Michael W. Gallagher, P.E., president, Western Allied Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, Calif.
• Peter B. Gardner, P.E., CPMP, retired and resides in Mountainside, N.J.
• Danny M. Halel, manager of standards, Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), Arlington, Va.
• Rick M. Heiden, senior manager, Compressor Engineering, Trane-Ingersoll Rand, La Crosse, Wis.
• Bryan M. Holcomb, construction sales & marketing manager, Environmental Air Systems, LLC., Greensboro, N.C.
• Joseph A. Karnaz, technical director, Shrieve Chemical Products, The Woodlands, Texas
• Russell Lavitt, P.Eng., associate, senior mechanical engineer, Stantec, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
• Isabelle Lavoie, P.Eng., general manager, Johnson Controls, Saint-Laurent, Quebec, Canada.
• Farooq Mehboob, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, CEO, S. Mehboob & Company, Karachi, Pakistan.
• Svein Olav Morner, Ph.D., P.E., principal, Sustainable Engineering Group, Middleton, Wis.
• Kashif Nawaz, Ph.D., research and development staff, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Joshua New, Ph.D., research and development staff and subprogram manager for software tools and models, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
• Gary W. Price, retired and resides in Buena Park, Calif.
• Cedric S. Trueman, P.Eng., Life Member ASHRAE, retired and resides in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
• John O. Varley, P.E., associate principal, Mechanical Engineering Leader, HED, Chicago, Ill.
Exceptional Service Award
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Service Award recipients who have continued to serve faithfully and with exemplary effort. Four members were recognized.
• Fred Betz, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, senior engineer, PEDCO E&A Services, Cincinnati, Ohio.
• Larry J. Fisher, Life Member ASHRAE, retired and resides in Louisville, Ky.
• H. Michael Newman, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, retired and resides in Ithaca, N.Y.
• Xudong Yang, Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Professor and Deputy Director, Department of Building Science, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
Distinguished 50-Year Member Award
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to individuals who have been a member for a minimum of 50 years, and are either a past Society president, Fellow ASHRAE or Distinguished Service Award recipient or who have performed outstanding service to ASHRAE or its predecessor societies – the American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers (ASHVE), the American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE), and the American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHAE). The following 28 members received that award:
• Naim Z. Azer, Ph.D., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Manhattan, Kan.
• Thomas A. Bathgate, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, CEO, PWI Engineering, Jenkintown, Pa.
• H.E. (Barney) Burroughs, Presidential Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, president, Building Wellness Consultancy, Inc., Johns Creek, Ga.
• Kenneth M. Clark, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Olathe, Kan.
• Byron W. Engen, Life Member ASHRAE, Mount Dora, Fla.
• M. David Gardner, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Renton, Wash.
• Vijay K. Gupta, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Springfield, Va.
• Bill Harrison, Presidential Life Member ASHRAE, CEO, Harrison Energy Partners, Little Rock, Ark.
• Richard B. Hayter, Ph.D., P.E., Presidential Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, professor emeritus, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kan.
• Richard O. Hunton, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, chairman and CEO, Hunton Group, Houston, Texas
• Ronald N. Jensen, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Hampton, Va.
• John E. Kampmeyer, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Springfield, Pa.
• Winfield L. Kelley, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Hialeah, Fla.
• Richard M. Kelso, Ph.D., P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, professor emeritus, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
• William R. Kimball, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Centennial, Colo.
• Charles Morse, III, Life Member ASHRAE, Concord Township, Ohio.
• Bernard A. Nagengast, Life Member ASHRAE, president, E&T Kointainer Company, Sidney, Ohio.
• William S. Ostrander, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Cincinnati, Ohio.
• Roger M. Pasch, P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, independent consultant, Pasch Enterprises, LLC., Eden Prairie, Minn.
• Herbert Phillips, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Philadelphia, Pa.
• Ramon Pons, Ph.D., P.Eng., Life Member ASHRAE, partner, CMTR, S.A. –International Services, Barcelona, Spain.
• Laurentino Punsalan, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, managing partner, L.R. Punsalan and Associates, Makati City, Philippines.
• David Reid, Life Member ASHRAE, Berwyn, Pa.
• James L. Schulze, Sr., P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Granbury, Texas
• Norman R. Scott, Ph.D., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, professor emeritus, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
• Leo P. Stambaugh, Life Member ASHRAE, semi-retired, Dallas, Texas
• Thomas H. Williams, Life Member ASHRAE, Decatur, Ga.
• George S. Yamamoto, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Cortland, N.Y.
Andrew T. Boggs Service Award
Van D. Baxter, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, received the Andrew T. Boggs Service Award. The award, named after ASHRAE’s executive vice president emeritus, recognizes an Exceptional Service Award recipient for continuing unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service. Baxter is Distinguished R&D Engineer for Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Louise & Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award
William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E., Presidential Member, Fellow ASHRAE, received the Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award. This annual award is given to an ASHRAE Fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work. The honor was initiated in 1979 by Presidential Member Bill Holladay. Bahnfleth is professor architectural engineering and director, Indoor Environment Center for The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pa.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by CleanLink.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of CleanLink.com or its staff. To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines.