ASHRAE Presents Awards And Honors At 2019 Winter Conference
ASHRAE recognized the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to furthering energy efficiency in the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration industry during the 2019 Winter Conference. A list of the awards and their recipients are below.
Fellow ASHRAE is a membership grade that recognizes members who have attained distinction and made substantial contributions in HVAC&R such as education, research, engineering design and consultation, publications and mentoring. The Society elevated 17 members to the grade of Fellow:
• Fred S. Bauman, P.E., Life Member, project scientist, Center for the Built Environment, University of California, Berkeley, Calif.
• Alexander S. Butkus, P.E., Life Member, retired president and senior principal, Grumman/Butkus Associates, Evanston, Ill.
• Charles Eley, P.E., BEMP, architect/engineer, Eley Consulting, San Francisco, Calif.
• Kenneth M. Elovitz, P.E., engineer, Energy Economics, Foxboro, Mass., and, adjunct teaching professor, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Mass.
• Paul W. Francisco, senior research engineer, Indoor Climate Research & Training Group, Applied Research Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Ill.
• Hwataik Han, Ph.D., P.E., professor, Kookmin University, Seoul, South Korea.
• Yunho Hwang, research professor, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
• Arthur A. Irwin, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
• James Kamm, Ph.D., P.E., Life Member ASHRAE, professor, University of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio.
• Kathleen Owen, owner and air pollution control engineer, Owen Air Filtration Consulting LLC, Cary, N.C.
• Gary Phetteplace, Ph.D., P.E., Life Member, president, GWA Research LLC, Lyme, N.H.
• Elbert (Bert) Phillips, P.Eng., Life Member, president, UNIES Ltd., Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
• Michael A. Pouchak, P.E., systems architect, Honeywell, Golden Valley, Minn.
• Dharam V. Punwani, president, Avalon Consulting, Inc., Naperville, Ill.
• M. Ginger Scoggins, P.E., president, Engineered Designs, Inc., Cary, N.C.
• James R. Tauby, P.E., chief executive engineer, Mason Industries Inc., Hauppauge, N.Y.
• Philip C.H. YU, Ph.D., C.Eng., environmental and applications engineering director, Trane Pacific, Hong Kong.
The ASHRAE Technology Awards
The ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements by ASHRAE members who have successfully applied innovative building designs. Their designs incorporate ASHRAE standards for effective energy management and indoor air quality and serve to communicate innovative systems design. Winning projects are selected from entries earning regional awards. First place recipients are:
• Dwight Schumm and Timothy Lentz, P.E, design engineers, new commercial buildings category, Indian Creek Nature Center Amazing Space, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The building is owned by Indian Creek Nature Center. The building representative is John Myers.
• Hiroki Kawakami, Hiroaki Takai, Kazuki Wada and Koji Tanaka, P.Eng., existing commercial buildings category, TAKENAKA Corporation Higashikanto Branch Office Renovation, Chiba City, Chiba, Japan. The building representative is Hiroshi Suzuki.
• John E. Tsingas and David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., ebcx commerical buildings category, 801 Grand, Des Moines, Iowa. The building is owned by Principal Financial Group.
• Michael P. Sherren, P.E., new educational facilities category, Wilde Lake Middle School, Columbia, Md. The building is owned by Howard County Public School System.
• Morgan B. Heater, existing educational facilities category, Westside School, Seattle, Wash. The building is owned by Westside School.
• David J. Meyer, P.E., Jaimeeganleong Wilson, Ph.D., P.E., BEMP, BEAP, Eric J. LePore, P.E. and Alfred Rodgers, CPMP, new other institutional buildings category, Koffman Southern Tier Incubator, Binghamton, N.Y. The building is owned by Koffman Southern Tier Incubator.
• Sarah E. Berseth and Scott A. Lichty, P.E., new public assembly category, Ramsey County Library, Shoreview, Minnesota. The building is owned by Ramsey County Property Management.
• Dominic Desjardins, Eng., Maurice Landry, Eng. and André-Benoît Allard, existing public assembly category, Montréal Olympic Park's Integrated Performance Contracting Project, Montréal, Québec, Canada. The building is owned by Montréal Olympic Park.
Student Design Competition
The Student Design Competition focused on a new 70,000 square foot (6,500 square meter), four-story mixed use complex north of Istanbul, Turkey.
First place in the HVAC Design Calculations category was awarded to the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. Team members are Jack Buckley, Madeline Sampsel, Austin Seagren and Christopher Wozny.
First place in the HVAC System Selection category was awarded to Kansas State University. Team members are Kevin J. Clark, Madison Hopfinger, Evan Reese, Whitney Luck and Andres Saldivar.
First place in the category of Integrated Sustainable Building Design was awarded to an international collaborative team from The Pennsylvania State University (PSU) and Technical University of Denmark (DTU). PSU team members are William McCann, Salvador Ordorica, Ashutosh Kumar Ojha, Marie Rottschaefer and Siddharth Swaminathan. The DTU team members are Vasileios Filis, Myrto Ananida, Oluwatobi Gbadebo and Alexandre Mathieu.
The Setty Family Foundation Applied Engineering Challenge requires students to plan, develop and enact solutions to sustainability issues in their local or regional areas.
The first place student team from the Bandung Institute of Technology designed a temporary shelter for use by governments, municipalities, and humanitarian agencies in an Eastern European location. Team members are Iik Wahyu Anggara, Katon Vembriarto Widayaswara, Yoga Hutomo Putra, Mohammad Ilham Akbar and Fahmi Rizaldi.
E.K. Campbell Award of Merit
William P. Bahnfleth, Ph.D., P.E., Presidential Fellow Member ASHRAE, received the E.K. Campbell Award of Merit. The award honors an individual for outstanding service and achievement in teaching and is presented by the Life Members Club. Bahnfleth is professor architectural engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Penn.
John F. James International Award
Stephen Gill, C.Eng., received the John F. James International Award. The award recognizes a member who has done the most to enhance the Society’s international presence. Gill is president, Stephen Gill Associates, Nottingham, UK.
ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service
Patricia T. Graef, P.E., Life Member, Fellow ASHRAE, received the ASHRAE Award for Distinguished Public Service. The award recognizes members who have performed outstanding public service in their community and, in doing so, have helped to improve the public image of the engineer. Graef is senior engineer, Munters Corporation, Fort Myers, Fla.
William Henry Gates, III, was elected as an Honorary Member of ASHRAE. Honorary Members, elected by the Board of Directors, are defined as notable persons of preeminent professional distinction. Gates is founder, Microsoft Corporation, Medina, Wash.
ASHRAE Hall of Fame
George B. Hightower, P.E., was inducted into the ASHRAE Hall of Fame. The ASHRAE Hall of Fame honors deceased members of the Society who have made milestone contributions to the growth of ASHRAE-related technology or the development of ASHRAE as a society.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by CleanLink.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of CleanLink.com or its staff. To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines.