Norovirus Plagues Chicago's Drake Hotel
According to reports in the Chicago Tribune, more than 100 guests, workers and attendees of a fundraising event at Chicago's Drake Hotel became ill with what health officials said was an ingested virus.
The outbreak was caused by a norovirus, a bug that causes nasty stomach symptoms, including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, said Tim Hadac, a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Public Health.
The hotel is working with city officials to locate the cause of the norovirus and has ordered a top-to-bottom scrubbing of the entire hotel. Officials say that the Drake will operate as normal and all of its kitchens and restaurants will remain open.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, noroviruses usually cause symptoms 12 to 48 hours after exposure. Most people recover within a few days, and dehydration often is the worst side-effect.
The virus must be ingested, and most often it is transmitted through contaminated food or drink, according to the CDC.
Click here to read the full article.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by CleanLink.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of CleanLink.com or its staff. To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines.