Costs of Gas Not Changing Ways BSCs Do Business
An industry survey found that building service contractors (BSCs) are paying more for gas-as are all of us-but are making few changes in the amount of driving they do for business.
According to the survey:
• More than forty percent of the respondents indicate their costs for gasoline have gone up 30 percent or more in the past year.
• Almost 40 percent report they have made some changes in their business driving "but not much," while about the same number indicate they have made no changes in their business driving.
• A third of the respondents said they are scaling back on how wide a service area they clean; 50 percent indicate they are making no changes.
Absorbing the Costs?
On top of paying more for gasoline, 90 percent of the BSCs polled report that the vendors they do business with - including jan/san distributors and manufacturers - are passing on surcharges to cover their own increased costs for fuel.
In fact, the survey did ask the BSCs if they are raising their fees to pass on the added fuel costs. About 60 percent report they are not; however nearly 40 percent say they plan to do so with some or all customers in the future.
The survey, by Chicago-based AlturaSolutions e-Poll, a division of AlturaSolutions Communications, was conducted online the last week of June 2006.
Of 900 BSCs and facility service providers sent e-mail invitations to take the survey, more than 140 responded. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus five points.*
Tornado Industries, also of Chicago, a manufacturer of professional cleaning equipment including floor machines, vacuum cleaners, extractors, and other tools, sponsored the survey.
• The data for this study was conducted using a Web-based survey service starting the last week of June through July 8, 2006.
• E-mail invitations were sent to approximately 900 BSCs and facility service providers with 142 responding.
• The survey has a confidence interval of 95 percent. This means that even if a larger number of BSCs and facility service providers responded, there is a 95 percent chance the responses would still be the same, plus or minus 5 percent.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by CleanLink.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of CleanLink.com or its staff. To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the Conversation Guidelines.