A hospital in the United Kingdom has recently voted to ban all alcohol-based hand sanitizers from its facility after it was discovered that visitors were ingesting the hand gel.

The dispensers were offered at entrances and in main walkways to encourage patrons to disinfect their hands prior to entering the facility. Now, officials are suggesting the removal of these dispensers from main areas and strictly focus on placing them at ward entrances and patient rooms — where hospital staff can keep an eye on their use.

Although hospital officials claim they are removing the sanitizers in an effort to protect the general public, executives with the National Concern for Healthcare Infections worry the removal of these disinfectants can cause potential hygiene problems.

Click here to read this full article.